1/17/13

Sunrise


Just a snippet of a true story...

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then I have no choice but to tell you about it. I had spent the night dancing, shaking off every anxiety I had developed in the months prior. Now I was nestled beneath my pristine white duvet. Every trip comes with an indulgence and this hotel room was it. There wasn’t much left for food in the budget, but I had a modern room and a double bed to call my own. Lying there wide awake, I was prepared to watch the sun come up through my window. It wasn’t facing the shore but I’d settle for just seeing the sky light up before dozing off to sleep. Everywhere I go I make a point of watching the sunrise. It forces me to stop and to savour. In our snap-happy culture, where everything can be captured and shaded with the ideal filter, I prefer to stay in the moment memorize it on my own. I told myself I would return home feeling a sense of renewal, that I’d begin to push through the boundaries I imagined were around me and challenge any fixed notions of who I thought I was. With that in mind, I decided there was no way I could sit back and watch a new day begin from bed. When I shook her awake, my roommate quickly leapt up and followed me downstairs. We dashed onto the beach just as the sky began to resemble a water colour image that had been streaked with pink paint. I kicked off my flip-flops and stood still. I was the happiest I’d been in a long time and that day, having a friend wake up from her much-needed sleep to walk down to the beach felt like a grand, supportive gesture. As the sun rose, the heartache that had weighed down my back and shoulders for months vanished. With my feet in the sand and a smile on my face, I swear I have never felt taller. 

2 comments:

Amanda DiPasquale [Not A Model] said...

Love this Erica! Beautifully written.

Erica said...

Thank you so much Amanda!