1/16/11

Silver Linings

I don't always look on the bright side. I am not always the cheeriest person. But since I started working I have realized that there are moments in the mornings on my way to work when I glance up at the skyscrapers around me, smile to myself and think Gosh, I'm lucky. Before you roll your eyes, hear me out. 

I take that second to smile to myself for two reasons. Firstly, I deserve it. I have worked towards a career in magazines since elementary school. In those days, I imagined being an editor-in-chief and that each subject was a mandatory meeting (in creative writing I brainstormed story ideas for the upcoming issue, in math my teacher/publisher helped guide me through our circulation numbers and in art my teacher/art director suggested ideas for editorials). Dreaming in elementary school later led to studying English in university, interning and seeking out information wherever I could. Secondly, I think some people might forget to do the same. 

The image of the intern is perky, eager and over-achieving. The intern is energetic, punctual and clamoring for attention. He/she arrives early, juggles tasks and leaves late. Look what I can do! Look what I can do! I can do it all for free! Then there's the editor. He/she has arrived. Interviews, events, runway shows and meetings are all in a day's work. The day breezes by, but hopefully not without a second to smile about it. My point is that I'm excited about my latest work experiences, and I think that anyone in any other field should feel the same. Whether or not an editor tries to uphold an icy image a la Wintour, I appreciate the moments when they allow readers to know that they are in love with what they do. That's why I adored Sarah Casselman's account of her first trip to Chanel's haute couture show in Paris.

"My first response - elation! - was followed by a wave of what-to-wear anxiety. But elation won." - Sarah Casselman, FASHION's Fashion Market Editor

No comments: