12/19/10

Love/Leave Jan 2011

Welcome back for another round of Love It or Leave It, where I compare covers and let you know why I would or would not pick them up if I had a choice on the newsstand. It's time for January issues, meaning that some of my favourite glossies are bursting with stories for the 'New Me.' Before I get ahead of myself and start discussing resolutions, let's get to the covers while it's still 2010.

LOVE: That Sarah Jessica Parker doesn't look over-styled in this picture. I really do enjoy that she isn't wearing something ridiculous that screams 'Carrie Bradshaw' here. It seems like a softer approach after the glitz-filled holiday season. What stories will I flip to? ELLE's spring fashion preview and their piece on Winona Ryder (perhaps that should have a larger cover line because it's not a story that every fashion magazine has). Pink cover lines really help the cover star, fashion preview and perfect haircut stories pop. Even their beauty stories sound appealing, I mean, I've admitted before that I'm a sucker for certain cover lines/recycled stories and they often include 'new year, new you' or 'personal style' themes.
LEAVE: Ugh, SJP again? Really? Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, let me say that as much as I love reading about health and fitness, I don't like doing so in fashion magazines. The "What Makes You Fat" cover line has me cringing only because so often health stories in fashion mags describe one 'ideal' body type and involve extreme measures to achieve it. I'm not so keen on the pieces I 'need' for the new year because I like my January issues to be about re-invention and renewal, not buying more, even if they could be considered gifts to myself.
LOVE: Amy Adams' daring cover look. Besides being taken aback by her recent performance in The Fighter, I admit that I don't know much about her and would be interested to read Marie Claire's profile. Her expression seems to be directed at all of those viewers who actually think she's a lot like the princess she played in Enchanted. I've said in the past that I like that typeface they use that makes certain cover lines appear scrawled across the page. 
LEAVE: Unfortunately, I don't read Marie Claire a lot because their newsier stories are often all about shock value. Is a reader honestly turning to this mag to read about sex being sold on online?





LOVE: After recently subscribing to Vogue in an effort to make myself read it more often, the cover that came out was December 2010 featuring Angelina Jolie. I immediately felt like my decision to subscribe was a complete waste of money. But this month had me smiling because I'm a fan of Natalie Portman's. Sure, Black Swan is absolutely everywhere right now, but I'd be interested in reading their interview with her. I never thought of her as a 'good girl,' but it seems she's going to shed that image with Black Swan and the upcoming No Strings Attached. As I pointed out before, previews of looks for 2011 are my reasons to read this month's major fashion mags.
LEAVE: When I think of Vogue, I think of the magazine's history. Will this cover really have an impact years from now? She looks frightened rather than glamorous. Couldn't they have done something a little more dramatic? This is Vogue!

Based strictly on covers, I'd say Marie Claire takes this round. Reader loyalty is important (I read both Vogue and Elle more often), but Amy Adams' look certainly stands out from the rest of these pretty cover darlings. What do you think of these covers? Are there any issues you can't wait to get your hands on?

2 comments:

ddistefano said...

SJP cover! You know i'll be grabbing that one!
I received the Amy Adams in the mail and I'm not crazy about her facial expression although her hair and outfit are beautiful.

ddistefano said...

SJP cover! You know i'll be grabbing that one!
I received the Amy Adams in the mail and I'm not crazy about her facial expression although her hair and outfit are beautiful.