9/13/10

First Day

People keep asking me if I miss school. I don't. Or they ask if working full time feels like work yet. It is work. I suppose it feels like work. But that doesn't mean it's all part of an awful routine. Today is my sister's first day back at school. I'm happy for her. I hope she's stimulated today, inspired even, and if all goes well I hope her lectures are interesting enough to make getting through another year of university a little easier. I think the first day back is always about hope. You see, UofT will always be in the back of my mind, and I like it there. It's hard to escape. Most of the time I'm walking past campus or through it. At a recent film festival party, I could see UofT from the bar. I remember meeting friends there, finding love there and learning my way around downtown. I remember strolling from class to class with the hope that someday I'd be able to write more than an essay on the history of the English language. Someday I'd find a place that would bring together how I'm feeling and what I'm experiencing. I know what it's like to go from lecture to lecture and wonder what it will all add up to. But I've always known that I wanted to write for a publication that inspires people. Sometimes I have trouble explaining what I see when I look at a magazine, but Sally Singer has done it so well. 


"If all goes well, the magazine I edit will feel emotional. It should feel like a friend or an enemy or an aggravating presence or the most wonderful thing you've ever had. Magazines, when they work, are emotional vehicles. They drive you to places you just didn't know you were going to go on the day you picked them up. And if they don't, they're not working at all."-- Sally Singer, EiC of the New York Times' T Magazine, in an interview with Paper

2 comments:

Amanda DiPaq [Not A Model] said...

Great post Erica!

Judit said...

I feel like you, I want to express my ideas and people who read me start to feel something with my words.
My problem: I'm so bad expresing myself!