7/10/10

Miss Not So Perfect

This week I finally made my very first presentation at work. Although I was completely panic-stricken walking into that meeting, it felt like a form of initiation for me. I think that having my chance to speak up and express myself really made me feel like a part of the team. One of my editors at Internship No. 2 said that I was quiet in the beginning, and that I should try to open up right away. In those early days, she  knew little about my interests, passions and had no idea I had a blog. She encouraged me to share those kinds of things more often, because they can help shape story ideas. I've tried to keep that in mind, but this scheduled presentation was just what I needed to force me to step up. I feel like sometimes part of me enjoys being not so perfect. I mean, I haven't been working for too long and I've already forgotten my umbrella twice. Arriving at work soaking wet isn't the best way to make an impression. And having major anxiety when it comes to presentations isn't always the best thing either. Once it was over I felt like I could breathe again. It's always been that way, and I doubt that will change. If that rush of nervousness can lead to a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction, then I'd say it's worthwhile. But that's just me. 

No comments: