6/22/10

School Days Filled with Scenes and Dreams

I've always written in a journal. I've even gone back and re-read them. Part of having the desire to turn those pages is knowing that deep down inside, I've always been someone who looks back and idealizes past experiences. I've only been in the working world for four weeks, and though I do not wish I was in school, I feel like it has taken me this long to appreciate my year at Ryerson. Last year was filled with emotional ups and downs, as I didn't know where I was headed or when I would find my perfect job opportunity. My sisters urged me to savour the present, since technically I was doing everything I loved to do. I had finally found a program that really catered to my interests, I was writing, blogging and had plenty of free time to negotiate it all (note: too much free time = major procrastination on my part). However, the important thing is that I was writing about topics that interest me. Now I have a small portfolio of assignments that I genuinely love, and know that I put my heart and soul into them. One assignment that kept coming up was to write a scene. We read countless scenes in my classes. Some moved logically, others presented images that the reader had to put together. Either way I'll never forget knowing that the writer behind each one was deeply passionate about the subject. The 'writerly' details and carefully chosen words made the classes on scenes my favourite of my writing courses. I recently went through all of my Magazine Publishing assignments, and though I didn't enjoy working on all of them (my description of how a Polaroid camera works was particularly mind-numbing), here's one that was a treat.

Tucked away from the designer storefronts that line Yorkville is a hideaway best known for it’s indulgent menu and Parisian-inspired décor. MoRoCo, a chocolate-lover’s paradise, is both a specialty shop and bistro. Steps from Yorkville, the entrance leads to the boutique, a white space lined with glass shelves of signature confections. The truffles, macarons and gift-wrapped boxes provide pops of colour throughout the room. Inside, a woman browses the selection. Her black heels click against the sparkling, white floor as she steps from one display case to the next. She's dressed in a black pantsuit and a camel-coloured coat. She tops off her classic and tailored look with the simplest accessories, a pearl necklace and matching earrings. Her shoulder length blonde hair has been styled into loose, face-framing curls. She’s been invited to an event, and is looking for something special to bring the hostess.

A young man dressed head-to-toe in black appears from behind the counter to assist the woman with her choice. From butter toffee with roasted almonds, to chocolate-dipped orange peel, each option sounds delectable. She nods as he describes each treat, considering whether or not her hostess would enjoy it. Finally the man turns to face the glass cases in the centre of the room. They peer over the glass at the rows of pastel-coloured cookies inside. These macarons, a French specialty, are meringue-based cookies that resemble little sandwiches. Each row is marked with a lilac label. As he opens the case, the faint smells of vanilla, lavender and caramel rise from the macarons. She immediately points to the salted caramel, and then stops. It may be her favourite flavour, but she isn’t there to treat herself. With that in mind she opts for a box of the vanilla flavoured cookies. In a clear case tied with a lavender ribbon, the gift is presented in a way that is simultaneously simple and chic, not unlike the guest who is bringing them to the party.
 
ps. I'm no foodie, but LVS is. Check her out at www.buttercupdays15.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Liana said...

EC you may be my newest competition in food writing...I love macarons and now I'm craving a MoRoCo night..nothing else in TO makes me feel more like Alice