6/24/10

A Book of Quotables

Before I started working, I went out and finally picked up Kelly Cutrone's book, If You Have to Cry Go Outside. I was hesitant to pick it up but ended up loving it. Her blend of ambition, tough love and spirituality make this book one that I will re-read again and again. In relation to my blog, it's a book that is filled with ideas for Quotable posts like this one. 


In University I was extremely intimidated by the staff at the campus-wide newspaper. The first time I wrote for them, my article was so heavily edited that it was barely recognizable. I was so embarrassed that I didn't contact them again for months. When I decided to try again, I was assigned my first interview piece for the Arts section. I was really happy with how everything went. Though my editor made some changes, I thought my writing had improved. I was proud of the article when I saw it, and encouraged my friends to take a look. Unfortunately when this particular article was posted online, the first comment made was one that didn't say anything about the topic, it was just making fun of me. I feel silly admitting that I never forgot that, but it's true. That's why I flagged the following quote while sitting in my backyard on a sunny afternoon, reading Cutrone's takes on the word bitch, defining your brand and how to fake it till you make it. 


"The more successful you become, the more people will write lies about you on the Internet...This has been a harsh pill to swallow at times, but ultimately I'd rather be the one living the life than observing and making catty comments about it." -- Cutrone, 165.

No comments: