4/2/10

LGFW F/W 2010: Even the Cab Driver Needs Directions

Thursday after work I checked my email to find an online editor asking me to cover some shows. LGFW was nearly over, so I jumped at the chance to get involved in any way that I could. I packed my bag with flats, a bag of almonds, a bottle of water, my camera, notebook and pen and was on my way. I rushed to the subway and got off at Union station, searching for a cab. Oddly enough after all of the negative reactions to LGFW's move to the Allstream Centre, even my cab driver was unsure on how to get there. He handed me a map, and together we easily found our way. When I spotted groups clad in fashionable and fashionably over the top outfits, I knew we'd arrived.
It may have been the cavernous space, or the afternoon time slot, but the event seemed to be sparsely attended. Looking around, I couldn't help but notice that the Toronto scene is a small world. My seat (labelled for the website, not me) was a prime spot for people watching. Maybe they don't know me, but I spotted some of the city's best known writers and editors immediately. Everyone seemed to have fallen into their own LGFW routine, including my friend Justine, of http://www.whatevereurotrash.com/. Show pass, take seat, take notes, file out and repeat.
Mapping Out the Front Row - There's the ET Canada crew, The Star's Derick Chetty, Zoomer's Suzanne Boyd, David Livingstone, National Post's Nathalie Atkinson, Globe and Mail's Amy Verner and the FLARE team (Lisa Tant, Liz Cabral, Mosha Lundstrom Halbert and interns-turned-editors Erin O'Brien and Dane Tredway)

The runway is long and so are the rows, but sitting up front is still special. It was nice to see former bosses from my internships. I had the pleasure of seeing BASCH by Brandon Dwyer, Lucian Matis, Rudsak and Comrags. Sitting in the Dwyer and Matis shows was extra special, since I watched their collections last season as well. When the after work crowds came bustling in for David Dixon, I decided to begin the trek back home. It's a shame I missed the complementary prosecco that was passed out!

1 comment:

Justine Iaboni said...

aw erica! i love this entry!! and thanks for the shout out and more importantly, thanks for the pen! it saved my life. link me the write ups you did for the shows! can't wait to read them :)
much love.