7/25/09

"you're one of us. the spotlight is on"

Meet Lydia. Former (and first) Editor in Chief behind U of T's VIVE Magazine and current fashion glossy intern. With VIVE she brought fashion and academia together, gathering a staff of creative students to explore ways in which their studies connected to their love of style. Luckily this ambitious girl on the go agreed to answer some Qs for Life is Glossy.

I'm a bright young thing named: Lydia
Employer/Position: Intern at ELLE Canada

How would you describe your personal style?
Classic – straight up with a twist (as the Bond girl, Xenia, would say). I’ll pair jeans and an oxford shirt with chunky jewelry and/or graphic silk scarf (ideally Hermes!). I’m presently in love with black cropped pants from Funny Face with Audrey Hepburn. I haven’t found them yet – but as soon as I get my hands on a pair of chunky studded pumps, I will wear them with these pants.

What do you think is the most stylish city? Why?

New York City, especially Soho and Greenwich. There is something so effortlessly stylish (cliché, I know) about those areas. It doesn’t seem contrived – like they’re not trying to slavishly copy runway fashions.

What are your favourite magazines?
ELLE, of course!
Vogue US, Paris and Italia.
Vanity Fair
The Economist
Zoetrope: All Story
(a shout-out to my boyfriend)

Other than magazines, what inspires you?
People on the street. I am very attentive to what garments people don – and how. I’ll confess that I take cues from what my friends wear, and make them tell me where they shop.

Do you have any favourite blogs or websites?
I love Garance Doré, the gal pal of the Sartorialist, Scott Schuman. She has a sexy blog. I read fashionologie everyday. The Sartorialist is fabulous too. The Fug Girls are outrageous – outrageously funny.

What’s the best advice you’ve received as an intern thus far?
Expand your network. Don’t be afraid to meet new people – even when they’re so painfully chic.

What do you think every intern must have?
Confidence.
Diligence.
Punctuality. (Other people can be late, but not you!)
And a pair of sky-high heels!

What’s the most exciting experience you’ve had as an intern?
Interviewing people who I have never even dreamed about meeting. I won’t namedrop.

What surprised you the most about working for a fashion magazine?
How down-to-earth and warm and generous the girls are. No one fits the stereotype of being starved, frigid and bitchy. They even wear flats sometimes!

How does being an intern compare with being Editor in Chief?
There’s no comparison – as Editor in Chief, you are expected to carry the magazine on your shoulder. So, I guess I should be thankful that the pressure is off. As Editor in Chief, your role is more or less circumscribed. The work that I do as an intern is so varied – it’s very refreshing. One day, I’ll be writing and researching. The next day, I’ll be attending events and mingling with other press and media folks.

If you could have tea with anyone in publishing who would it be? Why?
I’d like to have tea with Charles Townsend, the President and CEO of Condé Nast so that I can land a job. I would also love to meet Carine Roitfeld, the beauty and brains of Paris Vogue, and Kate Lanphear, arguably the most stylish editor at US ELLE.

No comments: